Out There
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ability to reach stars that are offscreen

3 posters

Go down

Ability to reach stars that are offscreen Empty Ability to reach stars that are offscreen

Post by Cosmologicon Fri 26 Sep - 19:21

Great game, keep up the good work, etc.

I definitely don't mind most frustrating things in the game. I know they're part of the design. But this one seems so arbitrary to me. Why can't I see and travel to all the stars that are within range of my Space Folder, when its radius extends beyond the screen?

If this is important for balance or something, well okay, but it just feels like an interface problem rather than a challenge put in as a deliberate design choice.

Cosmologicon

Back to top Go down

Ability to reach stars that are offscreen Empty Re: Ability to reach stars that are offscreen

Post by AlexTFish Fri 17 Oct - 8:57

I think there's a subtlety here. I think the interface goes:

If you have a telescope and a large Space Folder range, in galaxy view you can tap and drag on empty space to scroll around up to your telescope range; tap on a star to select it, etc.

However, if you dismantle or lose your telescope, you can no longer tap and scroll the view. Normally this will be okay, but if you also have a huge Space Folder range, I think it does mean there's an accidental interface restriction stopping you from navigating to stars off the top or bottom of the screen (or even left and right if your range is huge enough).
AlexTFish
AlexTFish

Back to top Go down

Ability to reach stars that are offscreen Empty Re: Ability to reach stars that are offscreen

Post by MichaelP Fri 17 Oct - 9:14

Yeah, travel distance is restricted by your telescope range. You can't go where you can't see.

MichaelP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexTFish Fri 17 Oct - 10:45

But I thought Telescope was deemed a "non-vital" tech? It's certainly possible to spacefold without a functioning Telescope (the Interferometer says "Telescope req" but you can still travel there).

I see three possible situations:

1) "You can't go where you can't see" - i.e. interstellar travel is meant to be completely impossible without a telescope, i.e. telescope is meant to be a vital tech.
2) You're meant to be able to go anywhere in your Space Folder range (that's what the Space Folder range means, right?), even if it's outside your telescope range.
3) You're meant to be able to go anywhere in your Space Folder range, even outside telescope range, but only to destinations that also fit in a 1280x800 pixel rectangle; you're allowed to spacefold faster "east/west" than "north/south".

3) is obviously ridiculous.
1) appears to be what Michael is saying should happen, and is fair enough, but I don't think is what the game implements, and I believe I've seen another forum post saying that telescope is *not* meant to be vital.
2) seems the most sensible, but also doesn't seem to be the way the game works right now because you can't scroll the galaxy view without a telescope.
AlexTFish
AlexTFish

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmologicon Fri 17 Oct - 15:39

Alex's post captures my thoughts exactly. I had lost my telescope and forgotten the tech. Maybe this is a very unusual case, but I think this is not the first time it's happened to me.

And actually the current situation is even slightly stranger than #3. Whether you can select a star depends on more than just your current technology and where the star is in relation to you: it also depends on the locations of other stars. This is because the screen re-centers when you select a star. So you can go to an offscreen star only if there's an on-screen star in between.

Cosmologicon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down