Out There
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gameplay issues

5 posters

Go down

Gameplay issues Empty Gameplay issues

Post by Goransi Thu 9 Jan - 0:01

First of all, this is an amazing game and I'm glad I decided to purchase it. As this is still beta I feel I can share some of my thoughts regarding the gameplay and perhaps influence the developer to make some changes.

I completely agree with what has been said in "Fuel can be scarce" thread. I wish to explore everything, but currently I'm leaving quite a few solar systems unexplored hunting for fuel. Making fuel last longer would (in my view) improve the game. There were times when I'm almost sure I could have done nothing to prevent my ship running out of fuel. The resources just weren't there.

Make ship cargo bigger. I know the main point is to keep player juggling resources and making tought decisions on what to keep and what to drop. Yet we know very little about the gameworld. It's hard to make any informed decisions when one knows so little and then the decisions you make feel random. You learn new technologies very slowly and if you're not lucky in finding a bigger ship quite early in the game it becomes very frustrating. I know I should hang on to gold but one rarely has the luxury to fill one cargo space with 1 or 2 Au. Perhaps you can make the starting ship bigger or make it a level thing? Players who seek a bigger challange can choose a smaller ship.

I'm guessing that when players drill and probe - we mostly use the same distances over and over (5-8 in my case). After a while it seems tedious to keep having to tap 5-8 times to get the desired depth. You could leave the depth slider at last used depth.

The random transportation event should probably not occur anywhere near the start of the game. Being thrown so far ahead after visiting only 3 solar systems really spoils your chances to play and interesting session.

I hate the "you've reached the end of the beta" event. I hope it will be removed from the final version Wink

Thanks for making this game!

Goransi

Back to top Go down

Gameplay issues Empty Re: Gameplay issues

Post by MichaelP Thu 9 Jan - 9:08

That are some very interesting suggestions. Thanks!

Fuel balance :
We're working on balancing the fuel you can gather. But it's close to what we intended.
Basically, if you don't find enough fuel to explore, you just need to move on to an other star system.

Make cargo bigger :
This game is hard at first. But the more you play it, the more you understand the game world and the more you can make informed decisions.
Learning and failing is a big part of what make the game interesting.
Choosing cargo size at the beginning is however a very interesting suggestion. We'll discuss about it internally.

Drill - probe :
I agree. There is room to improve the Mining UI.

Thanks for playing this game Smile

MichaelP

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGregRE Fri 10 Jan - 7:31

To add on to this: From what I've seen, it appears that certain ship components need to be placed adjacent to each other in order to gain their benefits (Planetary Expansion next to the drill, for instance), but there's currently no way to reposition installed technologies without dismantling and rebuilding them. This would only be a minor annoyance if not for scavenged vessels, which often have undiscovered technologies that are meant to be synergistic, which the player cannot simply dismantle and rebuild. Is there some way to work in the ability to move components around or scavenge individual parts from derelict ships, or perhaps the option to attempt to learn a technology by dismantling it?

Thanks again for making this game; it's been quite an enjoyable experience.

DarkGregRE

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelP Fri 10 Jan - 9:28

The only way to move a module is to dismantle it and rebuild it. It's not like you were moving a table in your house Smile

About synergy :
An upgrade works even if not adjacent to its parent module. But if placed adjacent, its bonus is improved.
For example, the lens improves the telescope range wherever you place it. But if placed adjacent, it will improve the range even more.

Once a module is built, it is "hooked" to the ship.
So, placing carefully your modules is important and add to the gameplay.
However, your suggestion about learning a technology from a derelict ship is interesting. We'll discuss about it internally.

MichaelP

Back to top Go down

Post by inkte Mon 13 Jan - 13:12

Hi, I have a gameplay issue. I do not know if it is intended or not but I'm gonna say it. So I was on one of my best runs and I managed to "forget" intergalactic reactor(the one used for orbiting) because of a random event. And what happened next is a stroke of bad luck. My reactor managed to get destroyed also through random event.

So it was like this : traveled to 1 star, lost memory of reactor, travel to next and reactor got destroyed. Can't rebuild cause I "forgot" the blueprint. Basically all I can do is just travel from the different systems until my fuel went out. Even managed to find a beacon that has a ship but because I can't orbit I had to go pass it.

Anyway, just switched to android for like a month and finally found a game I like which is this, can't wait to play the released version of the game. Just need clarification on the above event happening.

inkte

Back to top Go down

Post by alephcentauri Mon 13 Jan - 18:08

inkte wrote:Hi, I have a gameplay issue. I do not know if it is intended or not but I'm gonna say it. So I was on one of my best runs and I managed to "forget" intergalactic reactor(the one used for orbiting) because of a random event. And what happened next is a stroke of bad luck. My reactor managed to get destroyed also through random event.

So it was like this : traveled to 1 star, lost memory of reactor, travel to next and reactor got destroyed. Can't rebuild cause I "forgot" the blueprint. Basically all I can do is just travel from the different systems until my fuel went out. Even managed to find a beacon that has a ship but because I can't orbit I had to go pass it.

Anyway, just switched to android for like a month and finally found a game I like which is this, can't wait to play the released version of the game. Just need clarification on the above event happening.

This game is a roguelike (I'd link to the wikipedia page but the forum won't let me). Random events dominate, and there isn't always a way to win. Failure is inevitable, so at that point you're screwed and it's just game over. Sounds like the random-number-generator gods decided to smite you on that run Smile

EDIT: It would be pretty nice if the game could figure out that you've entered a situation that you can't escape from like this and end the game for you...

alephcentauri

Back to top Go down

Post by inkte Thu 16 Jan - 11:03

Or maybe instead of outright ending the game, increasing resources required would be good IMO. Something like ~300%-500% , so it costs ~30-50 fuel to orbit. It makes for a all or nothing scenario and considering that I even encountered an abandoned ship also makes a really epic comeback.

Only issue with this is the amount needed for fuel because if its not high enough people might still just drill for fuel like they normally would.

inkte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down