Out There
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've been doing Science.

2 posters

Go down

I've been doing Science. Empty I've been doing Science.

Post by Gus_Smedstad Mon 17 Mar - 2:00

I collected data from several of my Out There runs, and crunched the numbers.

The game clearly rounds all distances to whole numbers, since there are no small changes in fuel and oxygen costs. Star X may be slightly further than star Y, but it's either the same costs or the next increment up. For convenience's sake, I'll call this distance a parsec.

Your starting jump limit is 5 parsecs. You will always have two dwarf stars 4 parsecs from your initial system.

Adding any of the FTL techs (Grav Well Generator, Subspace Generator, Tau Stasis) adds 8 to your jump distance if the device is adjacent to your FTL drive. A FTL tech that is not adjacent adds 4 to your jump distance. By mid-map stars are often 6-7 parsecs apart. The Red system is 14 parsecs from any star, so you need at least two FTL devices to reach it.

Code:
                   Power   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
Interplanetary move cost  13   ?  10   9   8   7   5   5
             Landing cost  ?   ?   4   4   4   3   3   3
     Parsecs per 100 fuel 20   ?  25  27  31  37  40  43

Ecosystem  1   2   3   4   5   6   7
Interplanetary move cost  ?   6   5   5   4   4   3
     Parsecs per 100 air  ?  80 100 111 125 142 166

Resistance    1  1.5    2    3    4    5    6    7   8
       Habitable landing cost   10    7    6    4    4    3    3    2   2
             Gas giant damage 7-50 5-35 4-30 3-22 3-20 3-18 2-15 1-10 1-7
Gas giant visits per 100 hull    4    6    7    9   10   11   13   20  25
Fuel cost to take off is always the same as cost to land. Air cost to take off is always the same as an interplanetary move. Interplanetary moves cost about as much air as a 5 parsec FTL jump. Gas giant damage and average # of gas giants you can visit is highly approximate, and may be higher than I've recorded.

Solar Sails and Gravity Sails improve fuel efficiency by more than the displayed Power improvement. A power-8 ship with both devices connected to the interplanetary drive travels about 64 parsecs on 100 fuel, not 43. This increase is not linear, it improves with total ship Power, and I have been unable to quantify it accurately.

Defensive devices improve resistance even if not connected to the shield generator, but at reduced efficiency. A ship with one defensive device like a Thermal Resonance Generator with no shield effectively has a resistance of 1.5, displayed as resistance 1. This significantly cuts damage, so I've listed that case specifically.

Getting even a little Resistance improvement is important early on. The only Ecology improvement available, the Cryonics / Shared Cryonics combo, is a waste of space. You're better off with a couple of stacks of Oxygen if you're concerned about Air endurance. Power-1 ships aren't that much worse in fuel efficiency than the starting Power-3 ship.

I've had one run with a Resistance-9 ship (Tree Ship, shield generator, Thermal Resonance Generator, Void Generator), but didn't take notes.

Gus_Smedstad

Back to top Go down

I've been doing Science. Empty Re: I've been doing Science.

Post by ambientnoise Sat 29 Mar - 17:48

Great post. Didn't know about the rounding. The one inaccuracy I see is that the red system is not always 14 parsecs away from the nearest star system. I was able to make it there on one playthrough using nothing but an upgraded Tau Stasis.

ambientnoise

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum