Out There
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Request - Female astronaut

4 posters

Go down

Request - Female astronaut Empty Request - Female astronaut

Post by haFnium Mon 2 Feb - 9:06

adding the option to play a Female gender would go a great distance to increase diversity and inclusion. what would it take For this? I have only seen two places so Far:

1) intro scene showing a human in cryrosleep
2) astonaut Face when talking with aliens

is this possible?

-haF

haFnium

Back to top Go down

Request - Female astronaut Empty Re: Request - Female astronaut

Post by MrWizerd Tue 10 Feb - 8:50

I have to admit there are women out there that might be put off by the lack of a female main character. I hate to say it's so small an issue because that sounds sexist, and it isn't a small issue because more girls are gaming and that means more women and the gaming industry has been so male centric that it's unfair to or female gaming population so, I think it's a fair request... +1 for female character option, after all we have female astronauts.

MrWizerd

Back to top Go down

Post by archcrono Fri 13 Feb - 4:35

The Astronaut doesn’t really affect game play and like you said only really shows up in two places so while it wouldn’t be hard to make that adjustment there really isn’t much of a reason to make that change. Don’t mistake me, I hear you on the Inclusion and I would enjoy it if they did include some variety. Though it wouldn’t break my heart if they didn’t, I mean if they tried to please everyone they would end up pleasing no one.
If they did I think it would be fitting if of say two or three portraits available one was randomly chosen at the beginning of the game for you to play with.

archcrono

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelP Tue 24 Feb - 10:43

Hey, that's an interesting topic.
However, including a female character is much more than changing the portrait of the main astronaut.
The main astronaut in Out There is a character that exists within his logs you can read during gameplay.
Those logs have been written so you can slowly discover his personality, his thinking.
The hero in Out There is this guy and can't be replaced by someone else (male or female) like that.
When you read a book with a male character, you don't ask the writer to make a version with a female character, right? Because you get to know this particular character along your reading and it can't be replaced by an other one without changing the story.

MichaelP

Back to top Go down

Post by MrWizerd Tue 24 Feb - 11:00

You know that is a very valid point as well... I think the topic is valid and the options are hard... I know that the script is available for people to localize... Maybe if there was a woman willing to alter these encounters to have a more feminine spin, maybe that would go a long way to making the transition. I have to say I doubt it would happen, however, I also feel strongly that games ought to have options for males and females to not alienate one out the other. But that said women still read books with men as the main character so maybe I'm being a tad to feminist.

I know there has been a push to market games to girls add it tends to be male centric... However, this may on the end just be attempts to get more players in the king ruin more cash I don't know. I do know that I dislike the idea of ignoring female gamers, but at the same time treating then separate, does nothing to further the cause of helping the world perceive them as they are, equal. Most of us can agree that our differences don't male us individually better, but collectively it does, I seek to embrace that ideal and think I go overboard at times.

Ultimately, this comes down in the end more political and less practical and thus is a topic that could be mulled over four years with no real answer I fear, save a developer making a final decision.

MrWizerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down