Out There
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BUG(?): Premature "Not enough fuel" notice ends the game

2 posters

Go down

BUG(?): Premature "Not enough fuel" notice ends the game Empty BUG(?): Premature "Not enough fuel" notice ends the game

Post by alephcentauri Sat 11 Jan - 0:09

There are a couple of scenarios where the game will end due to not-enough-fuel notifications when fuel is/may be actually available:

1. I have no spare H or He. I use all my remaining fuel to send a probe. The probe is able to mine fuel, but the not-enough-fuel notification ends the game, even though I can move the fuel from my probe to my cargo, then refill the tank.
  2. I have to use a "desperation attempt" to fly to a space station. Once I arrive at the space station, the not-enough-fuel notification ends the game. This occurs before I am able to touch the station and hopefully get some fuel.
  3. This one is speculative, but I have a feeling this will likely also occur: I have to use a "desperation attempt" to fly to a new ship, and my game ends before I'm allowed to board the new ship (which happens to have its tanks topped off).

For 1, this likely stems from the fact that having 0 fuel immediately ends the game, even when there is capability for a refuel somehow. (This is in line with this forum post, where a player found that his game ended after having 0 fuel left even though he had a "spare tank of gas"). The fix is to not end the game if an H, He, Omega, or any other cargo object capable of refueling is on-screen (either in the cargo hold or on a probe to be transferred to cargo).

My guess for 2 and 3 is that the out-of-fuel notification is displayed while the travel scene (e.g., flying into the space station) is being rendered. Showing the scene (e.g., approaching a space station or a new ship) implies that the desperation attempt was successful, but the out-of-fuel notification explicitly states that it was unsuccessful. This is confusing for the player! I saw that I was nearly out of fuel and had to use a "desperation attempt" to fly to a space station. When the scene rendered I thought I had a chance at refueling with the space station, but instead the game ended. The fix, then, is to cut to black if a "desperate attempt" failed, rather than to generate the scene in the background and let the out-of-fuel notice overlay it.

Great game so far! I've played through it several times already, and I'm hoping to unearth more bugs to make the final product even better Smile

alephcentauri

Back to top Go down

BUG(?): Premature "Not enough fuel" notice ends the game Empty Re: BUG(?): Premature "Not enough fuel" notice ends the game

Post by MichaelP Mon 13 Jan - 9:10

Thanks for your feedback.
In the next beta build, it will be allowed to have 0 in Fuel, Oxygen and Hull.
Next failed move will end up in a game over.

A special scene when failing a desperate action is planned as you are not supposed to reach your objective.

MichaelP

Back to top Go down