Out There
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will omega be a lot different than its portable version?

3 posters

Go down

Will omega be a lot different than its portable version? Empty Will omega be a lot different than its portable version?

Post by mqlpide Sun 1 Feb - 13:06

I have not played the android/ios version of the game but I am asking if the game will be similar because I am wondering if some gameplay aspects will be modified during the beta.

I thought the game was, at least on some aspects, similar to FTL but it is a lot more different than I had imagined.
Playing with the beta a little bit, it feels the progression is based on luck rather than strategy although maybe there are strategical decisions I am missing a veteran player would know about.

Aside from relying on luck, gameplay wise there is something I find quite bothersome.
With the ship we start with there is barely any room to collect extra resources aside from He/H, O and Fe that are used to maintain the ship. So I am constantly trying to empty my resources to make some room for whatever I might find with the drill or probe and it tends to be a little tedious. Basically I jump to a new system, I refill everything, move to a planet refill everything, drill/probe and take as much as I can and is necessarily, move out of the planet and refill everything. It would be much more convenient if I could refill my ship once I see the result of drilling/probing. Instead I forget sometime to do it before hand and I miss on a resource because I have no room to move it in the ship. And it seems a problem because the game, as far as I can tell with my little time playing it, seems designed in such way that you get a big bulk of a resource to enable you to search for others but you don't really have the mean to store enough stock of the 3 of them together.

Something else I am not super fond of is the cost of actions is never fully stated. Moving to a planet cost resources but landing as well and taking of as well. I don't know if it is part of the gameplay that after orbiting around a planet there is a strategical decision to not land but to me it seems there is no point in orbiting somewhere unless you intend to get a resource out of the planet. I have not payed attention to the cost of landing/taking off and maybe that is not so fixed but considering that most games are lost from running out of resources and most often because there are no planets you need to refill after jump, it seems incredibly punishing to even make planets that are not worthwhile to drill or visit.

So I don't know if that is the way the game is played on ios/android and that you need basically a lot of luck to do a successful run. I reached the end of the beta once but not because I did anything different than any of my previous games.

mqlpide

Back to top Go down

Will omega be a lot different than its portable version? Empty Re: Will omega be a lot different than its portable version?

Post by MichaelP Sun 1 Feb - 18:27

As a rogue-like, the events are randomized but there are many strategies to optimize your survival.
Making a wrong choice (like forgetting to refill your tank before probing) can be fatal.

There is a pop-up confirmation window stating resources needed before landing/leaving a planet.
Orbiting a planet before landing is important if you have a geo scan that reveals the resources on this planet.

You need to play more as there are many others details and subtleties you'll discover progressively.

MichaelP

Back to top Go down

Will omega be a lot different than its portable version? Empty Re: Will omega be a lot different than its portable version?

Post by mqlpide Mon 2 Feb - 0:09

MichaelP wrote:Making a wrong choice (like forgetting to refill your tank before probing) can be fatal.
Yeah I understand that but I don't really see where the strategy lies. I don't see a reason not to refill your tank all the time and you have to do it all the time at the beginning of the game to always make some room for the stuff you harvest. So if you send a probe and you forgot to make some room although you could, you might end up with resources that would be useful to you but you cannot use. I feel it is counter intuitive and not enjoyable to always go to the ship screen before doing any harvesting. And it is super repetitive and not fun in any way to be constantly doing the same actions with 0 strategy behind it.

There is a pop-up confirmation window stating resources needed before landing/leaving a planet.
Orbiting a planet before landing is important if you have a geo scan that reveals the resources on this planet.

Ok I see that in a situation where you have a geoscan it is a strategical decision to land or not but I have either finished the beta or died before I could ever find a technology for it, the room and resources to install that.

I know as well that there are pop-ups telling you how much it will cost to land/take off but it still like a hidden cost of how much you would totally spend to harvest something on a planet. Let's say you have 40 fuels and you are considering landing on some planet rich with metals, well so the orbit will be like 12, landing and taking off would be about 5 each and going to another planet and using a probe for fuel or another system would be about 20 more (and 20 more if going from the planet to another system). So the cost you have to consider to see if it is worthwhile to harvest something is more 42-62 fuel which would be like 20 to 30 H and I don't know how many He. Considering it is not that common to get a lot of fuel from a probe it is super risky to land on a planet unless you have a lot of extra fuel in your cargo. I don't know if counter-intuitive is the right way to put it but it is certainly tedious to calculate it exactly as you need to check how much it would cost totally in fuel on the solar system screen and then check the cost of warping on the galaxy screen.

The game is beautiful and looks like fun and I like this approach of making the player pay attention to the game and not just be on rail but as it stands I find the game a little too tedious for me to be enjoyable so I will come back when the next beta versions are released.
and the portable versions received so many acclaims and good reviews that I am probably the one who is totally misunderstanding the game and not having delve enough in its interesting complexity, I am just a little surprised of how it plays as I was expecting something slightly different.

mqlpide

Back to top Go down

Post by Space Voyager Mon 9 Feb - 15:02

Can the "Scan" option become visible only when you have the geoscan? It only creates the unnecessary possibility of a wrong tap if it is there otherwise.

Actually, since the scan does not eat up any of the resources, one would always want to scan if the device is present. Couldn't you just integrate the results of the scan into the orbiting phase without pressing anything? So the button would definitely never be needed.

Space Voyager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down